- Please make sure your routines & costumes are age-appropriate, can we just remind you to avoid any sensitive subjects. Whilst we do appreciate dance is art and routines can be thought provoking, it is a children’s event and mental health topics or historic and current traumatic events, including the recent covid epidemic should always be avoided – if you are in doubt just ask the office.
- You can enter a maximum of TWO groups – one Junior (aged 8-13) & one Senior (aged 14+). If you have a group with mixed ages you should enter them into the Senior category. We cannot accept anyone over the age of 13 in the Junior category.
- Please note, the competition is for dance schools, however educational schools will also be accepted. Anyone who is under 18 years of age and studying dance part time on the following courses may take part in our dance school competition: A levels, BTEC levels 2 & 3, KS5. Anyone 16 & above, who is in full time vocational training (e.g. at Laine Theatre Arts) is deemed as semi professional and may not take part. Colleges offering diploma/degree courses will not be allowed to enter. Please contact us if you are unsure. Any schools who bring dancers not in the correct age within their group will be disqualified. CYD? reserves the right to do spot checks on ages at the events.
- The size of the ﬂoor is approx 16m x 12m. The Minimum group size is 6 PEOPLE, with a maximum of 40.
- Routines should be a maximum of 3.5 minutes long (Any music over 3.5 minutes will be returned and asked to be cut, 5 points will be lost in the competition for every 10 seconds over the 3.5 minute mark). All music must be sent to us at least 10-14 days prior to the event. You will be emailed a link to upload your tracks & once this has been uploaded it cannot be changed.
- Places for every convention will be issued on a ﬁrst come ﬁrst served basis.
- We welcome costumes however if the stage is littered after your performance with feathers, confetti, petals etc, you should be prepared to remove it after your routine. No form of liquid, gel, aerosol, or glitter may be used that could affect the dancing surface. NO helium balloons can be used.
- Can You Dance? staff are not responsible for any props or costumes.
- Can You Dance? is a professional platform for you to compete with your dance school/group. Adjudication Categories include choreography, technique, presentation and overall impression.
- Each school must have a DBS checked, named representative who is responsible for the conduct of the children throughout the convention. You must bring your own chaperones & helpers, please ensure they carry their chaperone & DBS certificates with them.
- The performance schedule will be sent out approximately 7 days prior to the event.
- Dancers take part at their own risk. Can You Dance? will not be held responsible for any injury that may be sustained during any of our conventions. Schools must ensure that all tricks and movements performed by their dancers are appropriate to each dancer’s ability.
- Can You Dance? reserve the right to use any photographs or footage for advertising and marketing purposes.
- Can You Dance? reserve the right to refuse entries. Bad sportsmanship will result in your group being disqualiﬁed at our discretion.
- CYD? is a friendly, positive and supportive event and we expect schools to support and inspire one another, please always clap your fellow schools & encourage them to do well.
Please contact us with any further questions you may have.
Please read our booking T&C’s here Please see our child protection policy here
The Can You Dance Team